Yesterday, the following call was dispatched:
PR says there is a 5 yr old child being driven on a motorcycle by an adult…last seen heading downtown on 123 Ave. The child has a helmet, PR concerned about the child if the adult crashed.
Let’s take a minute to digest that one…
How many problems do you see with this detail? I humbly submit my list.
1. PR is anonymous (that is a whole separate post).
2. PR apparently doesn’t give a shit about the adult if the adult crashed.
3. PR said nothing about any kind of irresponsible/dangerous riding.
4. There is no CVC regarding age restrictions for m/c passengers.
5. It is a possibility the PR was driving whilst using a cell phone (possibly further putting the child in danger…although this is complete conjecture).
6. This is in no way a police matter. There is no crime. There is no violation. You might as well call in and say you are concerned the sun is shining and further damaging your skin with it’s heinous UV rays.
It’d be one thing if the child was precariously holding on or the rider was being unsafe in some matter or the kid wasn’t wearing a helmet, but none of those things appear to have occurred. Per the detail, the PR’s only concern was potential injury to the child if the adult crashed.
So, please, folks. I’m not trying to dissuade you from calling the police. Just think first.