I love the British.
They’re quaint. They’re polite. They have excellent beer.
However, I’m not sure this is the smartest thing I’ve ever heard a Brit say.
First, let’s address the obvious. It’s incredibly tempting to question the veracity of the presence of two X-chromosomes; however, I don’t want this to devolve into juvenility. Again, even though it’s so. very. tempting.
Second, let’s start with the overly dramatic hyperbole of her concern regarding her morning coffee ending in a gun battle.
Here’s a suggestion, dearie:
Don’t try to disarm the cop in front of you.
That seems a legitimate way to avoid being shot.
Third, which is directly related to the aforementioned suggestion, she seems to think she could disarm the officer and “fired all rounds without much effort”.
That’s fucking adorable. And remarkably stupid.
Allow me to educate. Here 5 reasons that statement is stupid:
- That is a triple retention holster. That means there are three levels of retention an individual must disengage to remove the gun from the holster. It is not a simple thing to do whilst wearing it and requires many hours of repetition and training…let alone defeating them while the holster is being worn by someone else.
- She claims she is “partially weapons trained”. What the fuck does that even mean?! Does that mean she can field strip only the most basic of firearms or does it mean she knows which end goes “bang”?
- Police officers have a shit-ton of hours training in weapons retention. Part of that training involves inflicting significant pain to the soon-to-be-hospitalized and/or soon-to-be-dead person attempting to disarm the officer. Because guess what? If you try to take a cop’s gun, that cop will rightly interpret that as a threat on his/her life and will react with the appropriate level of force to that threat. (That means you’re going to most likely get shot.)
- This is America. Despite what the media would have you believe, the odds of a coffee shop full of people ignoring your attempt to disarm a cop would not be met with indifference or shouts of “God save the Queen.”
- She is British. As the original Imgur comment read, “Because the British have had a great track record of taking guns away from Americans.”
I recognize some of my British friends may find that last one mildly upsetting. I have two responses to that. First, it’s funny because it’s true. Second, no one wants to read “4 reasons”. “5” is better.
I’ve taken the opportunity to have some fun with the foolishness that is this statement; however, there is an undertone to the statement that is unsettling.
This kind of perspective is becoming more pervasive in popular culture. This lady actually believes the tripe she is espousing. I have no doubt there are a number of folks that supported her statement and believe that America does indeed “have a problem”.
While I agree with her…we do have a “problem”…I think the problems we’re talking about are vastly different.
She thinks we have a gun problem. You know because a police officer was wearing a gun. Patently stupid.
I think we have a problem with ignorance and the encouragement a profoundly idiotic comment like this receives.